what is the REACH scope?
Substances on their own, Substances in Preparations (a mixture or solution composed of two or more substances) and to some extent, Substances in Articles* are all impacted by REACH.
There are however some key exclusions from scope of the Regulation which include: Non-isolated intermediates, radioactive substances, substances under customs supervision and Waste material.
Examples of exemptions from Registration and Evaluation are:
- Substances manufactured/imported below 1 ton/yr (per manufacturer / importer).
- Annex V Substances including substances occurring in nature, if not chemically modified, eg. Natural gas, crude oil.
- Polymers (but monomers and certain additives are subject to REACH requirements).
- Substances for Product and Process-Oriented Research and Development (PPORD). A Notification is required; exemption period of 5 years (renewable under condition).
- Substances used in products covered by specific end use legislation, such as medicinal products, foodstuffs.
(*an object with a shape, surface or design that determines its function)